Saturday, May 23, 2009

unfamiliarise the familiar said someone

Born and brought up in cities amidst noise and fog, I was yet to realize calm and beauty of nature. Places where I have lived have been thoroughly adulterated and modified to an extent where even crows don’t look the same anymore. The noise. the rush. the hurry, overriding every other thing in life. But one good thing about this is that no one around you bothers you…they just let you be you. There are no questions asked or judgments passed…but of course there are the observations! The continuous struggle to typify people as this or that, in some way or the other. Crossing over bridges is misunderstood as it requires efforts to redefine realities. Any exception is an anomaly, is a threat.

Being a woman you are either the babe or the sarified-narified image of customs and any cross over between the two is a threat. Threat that de-familiarises the familiar. I have often been referred as a manly-girl (if at all it means anything!) though definitely my structure defies any such obsolete proposition. I am yet to understand the ‘scape of this phrase…maybe I will or maybe not…for me I would like to think of men and women without definitions based on anything but physiology. My journey and decisions in life have often taken me to un-chartered territories. The adventure of the journey began one day when I was walking back from school and just didn’t feel like taking the usual road that lead straight up to where I live. Without knowing much but just armed with sense of direction I started walking towards home but in a different route. When I came home I was thrilled with my discovery but then to my surprise I realized that everyone in my family knew about the ‘new-route’, and had never shared with me. More so because they never walked it. And as a result they somehow could not feel the thrill within me. This small incident is actually indicative of the fact that in life there are fewer ‘new’ ways, and even if there are such new ways…people know about it, its just that very few would like to give it a shot. Try and discover what it means and where it takes life. It is the same threat, threat of the unfamiliar yet somewhat resembling of the known.

Life bound within the limits of the known and the fearful seems tempting when one has crossed over the bridge of certainties and decided to go completely for the thrill…but its just a mere temptation, that looks pleasant when life become a bit too adventurous and somewhat out of control. But for the wild it is always the thrill that keeps them going. I think I am still stuck over the bridge of certainty and both sides appear tempting to me, of course with their own limitations. Maybe I just want the best of both the worlds.

No comments: